Profound, intelligent, and transformative, Iyengar Yoga is for every age, body type, and fitness level. Iyengar Yoga provides practical tools to create and maintain bodily health and vitality, mental clarity, emotional serenity, and spiritual well-being. Developed by B.K.S. Iyengar during his more than 75 years of teaching, Iyengar Yoga is grounded in the ancient Indian tradition and philosophy of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras.
Our teachers are rigorously trained and dedicated. Our classes focus on strength and stamina, flexibility and balance, concentration and meditation in action – our method is a pathway to complete alignment.
WHAT IYENGAR YOGA OFFERS
- A safe, systematic and intelligent progression of study to develop each student’s skills and abilities, within each class and from class to class.
- Certified teachers, highly-qualified and rigorously-trained, with a deep commitment to excellence in teaching.
- A highly-developed teaching methodology including clear demonstration of the postures, precise use of language and specific instructions to develop students’ understanding and intelligent action in practice.
- Sequencing of the postures that helps students develop strength and flexibility, stamina and concentration, and correct body alignment.
- Individual correction and adjustment of students, when necessary.
- The use of props such as blankets, blocks, belts and chairs to deepen learning and adjust postures to individual needs.
Gentle: This moderately paced, less rigorous class is appropriate for new and continuing students of all ages.
Level 1/Beginners: This class is accessible for students who are brand new to Iyengar Yoga, as well as continuing beginners and Level I students. Focus on fundamental postures and actions within standing poses, seated poses, twists, forward bending and introduce inversions.
General/All Levels: Once the basic foundation is learned, students across all levels can participate. General classes provide a challenge for those with experience and include modifications when needed. Inversions, such as Sirsasana, head balance, and Full Arm Balance, as well as more seated, twisting, forward bending and backbending postures are included.
Level 3 & Up: Seasoned Iyengar Yoga students can experience the challenge of more intermediate asanas along with fundamental postures. It is best to have an established understanding of the method, including a regular practice of Sirsasana, Sarvangasana with variations and be able to lift up into Urdhva Dhanurasana.
Breast Health: Specifically tailored to the physical, psychological and emotional needs of breast cancer survivors, including those undergoing treatment.
Community Class: This no charge class makes Iyengar Yoga available to everyone.
CIYT & Aspiring Teachers: For students and teachers who have gained proficiency in the Level 3 postures, and who hold Sirsasana for ten minutes and balance in Sirsasana 2. Students should have a well established, regular home practice in the various asana categories.
People of Color Class: A general all levels class for people of color. This class is a community space for students who identify as POC to connect and practice together. All are welcome.
Pranayama/Restorative: These classes will emphasize the practice of breath awareness and modification along with restorative asanas.
Restorative: Rejuvenating postures that soothe the nervous system and alleviate tension.
Sutra Study: This informal study group meets to explore the Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali.
Wake Up Yoga: Start your day right with these 7am General / All Levels Classes.