The two-year Teacher Education Program is approximately 150 course hours over three trimesters, or 9-week sessions from September through June each year. Trainees participate in weekly classes on Wednesday from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. These classes cover: teaching asanas, with anatomy and philosophy homework.
The first year of the program includes participation in a Level 1 class at the Institute. In the second year, participants will be placed as an observer in a Level 1 class, with a faculty member, and learn to observe and assist Level 1 students. In addition, the program includes free attendance at all Sunday Benefit Workshops offered by the Institute faculty.
Trainees are strongly encouraged to attend Pranayama classes, Sutra Study, and Guest Teacher Workshops offered by the Institute for the duration of the program. You are also expected to continue your own study and practice at Levels 3 and 4 at the Institute. The costs of these additional classes and Guest Workshops are not included in your Teacher Education fees.
The Teacher Education Program also includes access to the relevant Continuing Education sessions at the Institute.
Requirements to Apply to the Program
- Consistent study and practice of the Iyengar Yoga method at Level 3 for a year minimum, having progressed from Level 1 and 2.
- Demonstration of sufficient knowledge of asanas to undertake the program. Your knowledge of the asanas will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Sanskrit names
- Demonstration of the accurate form and actions of the asanas
- Concentration and attention to alignment, direction, stability, extension, and breath
- Use of props to improve asanas, or make them possible or appropriate to you
- These demonstrations will be held at the Institute on Wednesday, June 28 from 3-5pm.
- Commitment to completion of the two-year course of study.
- Current and continuing Membership in the Iyengar Yoga Association of Greater New York.
Each 9-week session is $900 or $2,700 per year. Payment is due prior to the beginning of each session. Students are expected to attend the entire program. Please inquire about financial aid if needed.
Please fill out this Application Form and once completed please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accepting application through Summer for the 2023-2025 Teacher Education Program.
Iyengar Yoga teacher certification is administered by the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States (IYNAUS). The program at the Iyengar Yoga Institute of Greater New York helps teachers prepare for national certification. For further information regarding certification please contact IYNAUS.