What has the pandemic brought to light for you personally?
- Naghmeh Ahi: Direct experience is irreplaceable – talking to a friend in person, enjoying scenery with the naked eye. Grateful that yoga practice – a direct experience – became the foundation for it all more than ever.
- Bobby Clennell: The pandemic made me realize how strong the Iyengar Yoga community is.
- Brooke Myers: The pandemic has forced me to stay home, stop running around doing stuff, and become quiet (very uncomfortable for me).
What pose/poses are you currently exploring?
- Naghmeh Ahi: The same poses as before, yet opening up to what they bring to light – fresh – each day.
- Bobby Clennell: Nothing has changed. As always: Sirsasana, Sarvangasana and Matsyasana.
- Brooke Myers: I am only doing familiar poses that settle my emotions.
What is your favorite quote from the Iyengars?
- Naghmeh Ahi:“You must purge yourself before finding faults in others. When you see a mistake in somebody else, try to find if you are making the same mistake. This is the way to take judgment and to turn it into improvement. Do not look at others’ bodies with envy or with superiority. All people are born with different constitutions. Never compare with others. Each one’s capacities are a function of his or her internal strength. Know your capacities and continually improve upon them.” – B.K.S. Iyengar, Light on Life
- Bobby Clennell: “…..and stay there!”
- Brooke Myers: ”No effort is ever wasted.”
What words of encouragement do you have for new students?
- Naghmeh Ahi: Keep up the home practice that the pandemic enabled you to develop!
- Bobby Clennell: Investigate a steady and consistent practice. Don’t be in a hurry. Let it take time to acquire physical stamina, because out of that can grow quiet nerves and emotional calm.
- Brooke Myers: Go to class but also follow the practices in the back of Light on Yoga, week by week. Geeta’s Gem for Women also.
What is your favorite: ice cream, work of art, place in the world, book or movie?
- Naghmeh Ahi: Current favorite book: The Soul of an Octopus by Current by Sy Montgomery.
- Bobby Clennell: Place in the world: Hangzhou, China.
- Brooke Myers: Favorite movie, Fellini’s La Strada.