What has the pandemic brought to light for you personally?
- Eve Holbrook: Our vast and often untapped ability for growth and adaptation as human beings, the blessing of friendship, the true meaning of flexibility, and the preciousness of time.
- Michelle LaRue: The need to be flexible mentally to take the constant changes in stride. Also, I feel so grateful for what I have: family, friends, a home, job, food, my cats.
- Jeff Logan: More introspection and a glimpse of what near death feels like.
- Hugh Millard: A lot of suffering.
What pose/poses are you currently exploring?
- Eve Holbrook: I am exploring volume, velocity and retention of the breath in my practice.
- Michelle LaRue: I don’t think about individual postures so much as what I need on any given day.
- Jeff Logan: The sequencing magic of Light on Yoga.
- Hugh Millard: Parvottanasana.
What is your favorite quote from the Iyengars?
- Eve Holbrook: “Whenever we find stiffness in the body, our mind should be especially supple. It is never the stiffness in our bodies that limits our practice, it is always the stiffness of our mind.” -Geeta S Iyengar.
- Michelle LaRue: “What drives your drive?” – Prashant Iyengar.
- Jeff Logan: “I could teach you everything about yoga through Tadasana!” – B.K.S. Iyengar.
- Hugh Millard: ”Extension brings space, space brings freedom, freedom brings precision, precision brings truth and truth is god.” – B.K.S. Iyengar.
What words of encouragement do you have for new students?
- Eve Holbrook: Flexibility is not a prerequisite for yoga, but a result of sticking with it.
- Michelle LaRue: Start where you are. Progress comes over time and is not even. Some postures come naturally and quickly while others will be more challenging and take longer. Enjoy the process and don’t compare yourself to others.
- Jeff Logan: Remember that the “good” isn’t necessarily pleasant ! Especially in asana practice.
- Hugh Millard: Find the right teacher.
What is your favorite ice cream, work of art, place in the world, book, or movie?
- Eve Holbrook: Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders.
- Michelle LaRue: Coffee ice cream with any form of chocolate – chips, chunks, hot fudge.
- Jeff Logan: a Haiku written centuries ago by one of the master:
- “It took the moon
- All night
- To get across the pond. “
- Hugh Millard: Coconut.