Requirements to Apply to the Program
1. Consistent study and practice of the Iyengar Yoga method at Level 3.
2. Demonstration of sufficient knowledge of asanas to undertake the program. Your knowledge of the asanas will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Sanskrit names
- Demonstration of the accurate form and actions of the asanas
- Concentration and attention to alignment, extension, and breath
- Use of props to improve asanas, or make them possible or appropriate to you
These demonstrations will be held at the Institute on Friday, June 7 at 7:30pm.
3. Commitment to completion of the two-year course of study.
4. Current and continuing Membership in the Iyengar Yoga Association of Greater New York.
The two-year Teacher Education Program is approximately 150 course hours over three 9-week sessions (Fall, Winter, Spring) per year. Trainees participate in weekly classes on Tuesdays from 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. These classes cover: asanas, anatomy and philosophy.
The first year of the program includes your participation in a Level 1 class at the Institute. In the second year, you will be placed as an observer in a Level 1 class, apprenticing with a teacher on our faculty as you learn to assist a Level 1 class. In addition, your training includes Weekend Workshops offered by the Institute faculty.
Trainees are strongly encouraged to attend Pranayama classes, Sutra Study, and Guest Teacher Workshops offered by the Institute for the duration of the program. You are also expected to continue your own study and practice at Levels 3 and 4 at the Institute. The costs of these additional classes and Guest Workshops are not included in your Teacher Education fees.
Following completion of the Teacher Education Program, students are eligible to participate in the Continuing Education Program at the Institute.
Each session is $1,000 or $3,000 per year. Payment is due prior to the beginning of each session. Students are expected to attend the entire program.
Iyengar Yoga teacher certification is administered by the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States (IYNAUS). The program at the Iyengar Yoga Institute of Greater New York helps teachers prepare for national certification. For further information regarding certification please contact: 206-623-3562
Applications are due by May 15, 2019